Thursday, June 30, 2005

Weak US income growth

That weak May retail sales report was no joke. As the BEA reports this morning, personal consumption expenditures fell in real terms for the second time this year.

While the slight fall in consumption expenditures is good news in the big picture of global economic adjustment, the failure of American disposable incomes to rise much at all -- and then to find their way into personal savings -- takes the shine off my contrarian interpretation.

Most disconcerting was the miniscule rise in nominal wages and salaries (+$8bn) in May, the weakest increase in a year. Total employee compensation also rose (+$11.3bn) the smallest amount since last June. These kinds of numbers are more characteristic of 2002 and the midst of the job recession than of an economy with "solid fundamentals".

Let's step back and take a wider look at real disposable personal income, the real "solid fundamental" of good growth. Over the last three months, DPI growth deflated by the PCE price index has been $16.4bn. Other recent three-month periods with weaker growth all have mitigating circumstances: the big dividend payout in December 2004 affecting March 2005; and changes in federal income tax withholding affecting October and November 2003. In fact, you have to go all the way back to the second half of 2002 (when real DPI fell five of six months) to find income growth as weak as what we have seen over the March-May 2005 period.

No surprise, then, that personal savings as a percentage of disposable personal income was 0.6% in May. If you want the optimistic scenario, remember that this is up from April's 0.5%. Over the last three months, the US personal savings rate is a pathetic 0.57%. Only the three months following 9/11 -- when the US went on its "shop to stop the terrorists" binge -- was lower, and then just barely (0.54%). But what is our excuse this time around?

Maybe we all really do belive that saving is just for chumps. As the insighful Daniel Akst skillfully argues (irony index: high), why play the ant with his taxed shelter and supplies when you can play the grasshopper and enjoy those luxurious foodstamps and the dignity of state-aid medical insurance?

23 Comments:

At 12:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for directing me to Akst whose writing I am not familar with, but this bit got me again:
" The government's system of measuring personal saving fails to capture changing asset values, mishandles pensions and has other shortcomings that cause it to understate actual savings, at least in the opinion of some economists."
The attack on the legitimacy of the stats is taking its toll on me.

The WH policy that America needs to save more is on a par with the policy that America needs/has a strong dollar. Nobody really knows how genuine the policy is nor how it is being implemented or even supported.
Such is the workings of this administration: ad hoc.
calmo

 
At 7:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will bookmark this blog. I enjoy the yopic of income protection I have a blog here on income. income protection

 
At 9:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey nice info you posted.
I just browsing through some blogs and came across yours!

Excellent blog, good to see someone actually uses em for quality posts.

Your site kept me on for a few minutes unlike the rest :)

Keep up the good work!

Thanks!.

 
At 8:19 PM, Blogger banner ads said...

There is alot of Blogs, I never guessed I'd find some usefull information.

Thanks.
I'll be back later to see if anymore good updates are available.

 
At 12:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! Thanks for the great advice.

I am just getting into this blogging stuff and have started my own motivation blog if you're interested.

Plus I have heaps motivation tips, articles and resources on one of my websites too. Drop by if you have time!

Cheers!

 
At 3:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Find great deals on eBay with the misspelledauctions.com search engine

Misspelledauctions.com


Great site -

 
At 1:09 PM, Blogger 性爱 said...

I am totally nude come see me. Take a bit for all pics and movies to load.

Why do I do this I like to make men blow their jiz in their pants.

Visit me.裸体

 
At 1:37 AM, Blogger HomeSellerMax said...

I read you blog and thought it was great! But you can also find Free Stuff at HomeSellerMax

 
At 9:43 PM, Blogger TadaDiscounts said...

You have an awesome site here! I have a website that may interest you- fragrances with get content such as- fragrances

 
At 5:10 AM, Blogger TadaDiscounts said...

Great site!

Please check out my blog- Below Wholesale Deals

Or your my be interested in my other site- Below Wholesale Deals where you can find Below Wholesale Deals

 
At 10:21 PM, Anonymous Powerseller Package said...

Hello Gen. Glut,

I am based in the UK and I stumbled across your post " this post ".
I'm quite keen on finding any useful information on Ultimate Ebooks. I found some good stuff on Ultimate Ebooks but I wondered whether you may have any advice on the best resources out there.

Thanks in advance.

 
At 3:49 AM, Anonymous Online Business said...

Gen. Glut,
Great post. I found your post a good read. You may be interested in Powerseller Package.

Any recommendations for the best infromation about Powerseller Package? Nice one.

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger Barbara Hofmeister said...

Thank you for writing about healthy personal growth. There can never be enough said about this challenging topic. If you want to hear more about it, why not sign up for my FREE e-course on healthy personal growth

Wishing you the Best!
Barbara Hofmeister
www.trainingvisions.com

 
At 5:08 PM, Anonymous wholesale said...

Hi ##NAME##
I found your post when I was looking for information on if people can really make any money online selling

items from ##LINK## companies. What do you think?

 
At 7:50 PM, Anonymous wholesale said...

Good info

 
At 2:50 AM, Anonymous computer dropshipper wholesale said...

good information

 
At 5:24 PM, Anonymous drop ship program said...

Good post

 
At 8:15 AM, Anonymous spiritual and personal growth said...

Not only is it possible to take this idea further, it could be downright profitable in a huge variety of ways! Tie it into self improvement tapes and it could also be a ton of fun? What do you think?

 
At 10:41 PM, Blogger William said...

Awesome blog you have here I will deffinitely be checking
back to see some more great post. I have a blog/website
you might enjoy.

wholesale bead
http://www.darwholesale.com/

 
At 9:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shop online today. Forget driving to the mall when you can just click the mouse and order from your favorite store. No traffic to deal with

 
At 3:29 AM, Anonymous joel said...

Are you a struggling internet business owner spending hours on the computer getting little or no profits from your efforts? Are you gaining weight sitting in that office chair? IF you answered yes then read on fellow entrepreneur. I found myself spending hours on the computer, while eating nervously at the same time. Thank heaven for my wife who took action! What did she do for me? She enrolled me for a 10 weeks in Weight Watchers. At first I was quite embarrassed, but when I visited my bedroom mirror, I agreed to try Weight Watchers.
improving low self esteem
Self Improvement Services.

 
At 11:20 AM, Anonymous joel said...

If you are involved in Sales or Marketing in any way....Here are some "Mental Performance" statements AKA: Positive thinking affirmations....You can use and practice to put yourself in a comfortable frame of mind. before talking to your prospects....
high self esteem
Self Improvement Services.

 
At 8:46 PM, Anonymous money making said...

Thanks for your insights......

Steve @
http://www.lifeincome.org

 

Post a Comment

<< Home