Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Sy Hersh must be getting very very close to putting the story of the sexual torture of children at Abu Ghraib in print. From EdCone.com via DeLong:
Seymour Hersh says the US government has videotapes of boys being sodomized at Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq.

"The worst is the soundtrack of the boys shrieking," the reporter told an ACLU convention last week. Hersh says there was "a massive amount of criminal wrongdoing that was covered up at the highest command out there, and higher." . . .

He called the prison scene "a series of massive crimes, criminal activity by the president and the vice president, by this administration anyway´┐Żwar crimes."

The outrages have cost us the support of moderate Arabs, says Hersh. "They see us as a sexually perverse society."
Maybe the Arabs are exactly right. If you think the United States isn't a sexually peverse society, you don't get out from under your rock much.

1 Comments:

At 12:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't believe I made it throught the gate...

Let me say this is not my favorite topic, but your opinions (and site in general) need and deserve more attention. (Maybe your audience is all in agreement and nodding their approval).
The torture issue is showing signs of fatigue at AB too. Personally, I feel like I am being squeezed by forces to DO SOMETHING. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. And other forces that are shreiking PLEASE CHANGE THE CHANNEL. This issue deserves our attention, attention that is ill-prepared for the task.
The torture in Iraq brings this (torture) home to me personally:
Can we sit still for this...OK, what about THIS? And the escalation continues and with each escalation, the insinuation that if THAT doesn't spur me to action, what ever could get me off my fat ass? ( 'out from under the rock I'm hiding under', a recent phrase, is apt.)
The fact that this issue is not popular ( among the blogs I visit anyhow) is no surprise to me.
Another reason why this blog needs more comment: you face the (sometimes very unpleasant) realities. Thanks for that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home