Wednesday, July 21, 2004

Overall I think Kevin Drum is a good guy, but his comments on "selective reduction" abortion are not only stomach-churning but bone-chilling as well.
If you're pro-life, and you think abortion is an abomination anyway, why is aborting two out of three fetuses any worse than aborting them all, as people do all the time? Both emotionally and intellectually, I don't get it.

And if you're pro-choice, why the sudden concern with motive? It's unfair anyway, since the "Staten Island" crack is what most people are focusing on, even though that's obviously just a metaphor: Richards says pretty clearly that she's concerned that triplets would prevent her from working and make her into a full-time housewife, and that's not what she wants. What's wrong with that?
I would think any child of a woman who had an abortion is facing the same kinds of issues as an adopted child. While the adopted child at some point asks "why didn't my mother want me? Why was I rejected?", the unaborted child at some point asks "why did my mother want me? Why wasn't I rejected?" What is worse, of course, is that the unaborted child didn't simply face the possibility of emotional rejection, but the end of his/her life. This is intensely acute for the survivor of "selective reduction" abortion, who lived thanks to luck more than anything else. Mom killed (for you pro-choicers, "eliminated" might work instead) my brother and sister but not me -- why? What's so special about me and so terrible about them?

And mom says, "Well, Billy,"
I would have to give up my main income for the rest of the year. . . . I'd have to give up my life . . . I wouldn't be able to fly . . . I'll never leave my house because I'll have to care for these children. I'll have to start shopping only at Costco and buying big jars of mayonnaise. . . . [I would miss] the Boston Pops concert at Symphony Hall.
"In short, Billy, your brother and sister were simply too inconvenient. They had to be eliminated. But you . . ."

Better not get too "inconvenient," Billy. Mother's love only goes so far.

1 Comments:

At 6:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You assume of course that Mom would be so stupid as to tell Billy how and why Billy came to be.

Pity to see someone with an materialist perspective have a pseudo-moralist bent.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home