Tuesday, May 25, 2004

Hey, my very first comment on General Glut's Globblog! Thanks to baoutsi who wins the Big Globblog Prize -- to be clothed in eternal glory.
You write:

The point is that liberal empire is not about creating order. It is about creating order favorable to the interests of the empire.

I fully agree but I don't think the interventions of the North were successful. The multilateral approach (Bosnia, Kosovo) just froze the chaos and it didn't create a self-sustaining order. The semi-multilateral (Afghanistan) and the unilateral (Iraq) are even worse. In these cases the state couldn't be reconstituted.

I think that the great weapon of the countries of the North is economic sanctions. Military intervention is costly, fraught with dangers and doesn't seem to work.

3 Comments:

At 5:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Frist!! err... second...

I didn't even realize this blog had comments. I guess I should have taken a better attitude towards my new bifocals, grumpily shoving them in the sock drawer and glaring at my smirking wife didn't turn the clock back one millisecond.

 
At 1:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The first problem with sanctions, and much of globalism, is that eventually they have to enforced at gunpoint. Then there are greedy people who skirt the laws enforcing sanctions and that gives room, not to mention incentive, to other greedy people to do the same.

 
At 11:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, I'm with the other anonymous's - I had no idea you had comments. They're in a really, really small font.

And what's with the sign-in?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home