Saturday, April 24, 2004

Since going into retirement last September, the General has kept up with his favorite econ blogs, especially Brad DeLong and Angry Bear. Kevin Drum has also done a nice job keeping economic issues on people's radar screen even if he needs DeLong to tell him what to think (that Drum-DeLong blog lovefest seems to be more than just puppy love). They all lack the radical edge I tried to offer here on General Glut's Globblog, but they usually have something both competent and interesting to say. In the meantime, other good econ blogs have gone out of business, including some of my favorites like Its Still the Economy Stupid and oikonomos.

While retirement has been good to the General, the loss of these good blogging soldiers and the mildly liberal pablum of DeLong, Drum and Bear just quite frankly doesn't cut it anymore. The blogosphere needs not only economic literacy but a radical commentary that tells the truth on the economic statistics and stories of the day.

So today I proudly announce that the General is putting his uniform back on. For my first posting back, I offer you the wisdom of Howard Beale from the film Network:
Well I'm not going to leave you alone. I want you to get mad! I don't want you to protest; I don't want you to riot; I don't want you to write to your Congressman, because I wouldn't know what to tell you to write. I don't know what to do about the depression and the inflation and the Russians and the crime in the street. All I know is that first, you've got to get mad. You've gotta say, "I'm a human being! My life has value!"

So, I want you to get up now. I want all of you to get up out of your chairs. I want you to get up right now and go the window, open it, and stick your head out and yell, "I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home