Sunday, April 25, 2004

I wanted to revive a golden oldie from my retirement months.

Back in February, Petey at DKos posted the following in the midst of John Forbes Kerry's march toward the nomination:
So apparently, there are a couple of ironclad rules about post-WW II Presidential politics:

* You can't get elected President if you're from North of Misssouri
* You can't get elected President if you're a sitting member of Congress

There is only one exemption:

You must be a Senator from Massachusettes who skippered a small boat in combat with bravery who has the initials of J.F.K.
To which I replied:
But Petey, you forgot Karl Marx's famous line from the Eighteenth Brumarie of Louis Bonaparte:

"Hegel remarks somewhere that all great, world-historical facts and personages occur, as it were twice. He has forgotten to add: the first time as tragedy, the second as farce."
I haven't seen anything since February to change my mind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home